Reviewing movies and series since 2012

08/03/2012

Third Star


This was British movie was produced by the BBC in 2010 and directed by Hattie Dalton and it tells the story of James - played by Benedict Cumberbatch - who goes on an ill-advised trip to the stunning coastal area of Barafundle Bay in West Wales together with three of his closest lifelong friends. 


I can't really think of anything to say about this movie except that's absolutely stunning.The only problem I found was with understanding some parts of what the characters said, either because some mild mumbling, or because of their accents. But other than that this is a truthfully good movie. 
The argument may  not be one of the most original ones you come across, but don't let that fool you, as it is executed in a really original fashion. There where other movies tend towards a heavy melodramatic view of a sad situation Dalton gives everything to show that - even if sad - these characters can be happy and have a fantastic time. The comic relieve doesn't lay completly on one character, like it usually does, but everyone laughs and cracks a joke now and then. 
Another fantastic novelty of the execution fo this movie is the fact that it seems very, very natural. At some points you can completly forget that this is a profesional movie, because it really looks like  four joung guys going on a trip, and having the same adventures you would have, encountering strange people, starting fights and laughing at each other. And as you easily get the whole mood of the situation, the fact that's a little bit complicated to understand what they're saying isn't really a problem. 
At this point I don't think I have to say anything more about the extraordinary work of the four actors: Hugh Bonneville, Tom Burke, JJ Feild and Benedict Cumberbatch. Even if I wanted, I couldn't find any flaw in their acting. 
The scenery is entrancing and I really have to get myself to Wales. It's fascinating. And I find myself not remembering a single note form the music, which I find excelent as - I distinctly remember that there was music - it helps leaving the idea of 'home-made' trip movie. 

And that's all, folks, I highly recomend this movie, if you like Cumberbatch, and if you don't, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment